Why learn about strategies for managing conflict and negotiation in the workplace?
Negotiation and conflict management events are everywhere, and the organization that faces them head on and looks to them as opportunities rather than obstacles will win the day. Think about the good that comes from negotiation and conflict management processes:
- Teachers’ unions work with school boards to get increased pay for overworked educators and additional budgets for much-needed educational materials.
- City governments use tax incentives to bring new business into the area, increasing job opportunities for the community and bringing new potential revenue into the city.
- A brewery strikes up a deal with a bourbon distillery to remove used barrels from their property that may have otherwise been discarded, so they can turn around and use them to add a bourbon taste to their beer products.
- A teenager takes her life savings to the car dealership and purchases her first used car.
Negotiation and conflict management don’t just make the business world go ‘round, they’re a part of life. Mastering these skills and understanding how to leverage the techniques will help you be more successful in work and life.
CC licensed content, Original
- Why It Matters: Conflict and Negotiation. Authored by: Freedom Learning Group. Provided by: Lumen Learning. License: CC BY: Attribution
CC licensed content, Specific attribution
- Character back to back. Authored by: Fxq19910504. Provided by: Pixabay. Located at: https://pixabay.com/photos/character-back-to-back-male-woman-1797362/. License: CC0: No Rights Reserved. License Terms: Pixabay License